Pinakbet or Pakbet Recipe
March 23, 2021
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 ginger root, chopped and crushed
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 4-5 okras
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 2 cups of squash, cubed
- 1 ampalaya, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 bundle of sitaw, cut by 2 ½” long
- 2 cups of water
- Bagoong isda or bagoong alamang
- cooking oil
In a deep pan, saute garlic, add with onion. Add half a kilo of pork into the pan and season it with salt. Saute still until the pork starts to render fat and its edges turn brown. You may then add tomatoes and crushed ginger. Mix the ingredients well for a couple of minutes, pour water then bring it to a boil. Add slices of okra, eggplants, ampalaya, sitaw and squash. Season pork and vegetables with bagoong according to your taste. Mix it well and simmer until all veggies are cooked.
- The classical way of cooking Pinakbet is using bagoong isda rather than bagoong alamang. You may use the latter if you choose.