Fish Escabeche Recipe
March 23, 2021
Escabeche is one of my favourite Filipino dishes and my mom makes the yummiest one. I remember when I was a kid; I knew what’s for dinner every time she cooks this because of it’s lovely and mouth-watering smell filling the whole house, and we always leave the plate clean thereafter. Here’s my mom’s Escabeche recipe and hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do.
- 500grams Fish (Recommended variety: Tilapia, Lapu-lapu, Mackerel)
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- First, fry the fish in a pan then set aside once nicely brown and the skin looks crispy.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water and set aside.
- In a separate pan; sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- When softened, add the water and wait to simmer.
- When nearly boiling, add the cornstarch and stir continuously.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar and red pepper then continue stirring.
- Add the Fried fish then seasoned with salt, pepper and brown sugar. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Served and sprinkle over the spring onion.
Another version of this recipe is instead of adding the fried fish in the pan, put the fried fish on a plate then pour over the sauce and sprinkle over the spring onion. It’s lovely with plain boiled rice… and you’ll need plenty of it, trust me. You can also swap the fish with dried fish as well and it will just taste as nice.